Thursday, July 7, 2016

Time To Up My Game!

Not too long ago, I told my seniors that one of my biggest hopes for them, as they left for the next step on their life's journey, was that they would find and pursue a passion in life that would help to define who they are, as teaching has done for me.  I'm remarkably blessed that I can sit here and honestly say that I can answer the age-old ice breaker question, "What would you want someone else to be able to say about you?" I am a father, I am a husband, I am a son, I am a teacher.  And each of those are my passion.

I've spent a considerable amount of time on Twitter, and have found it to be an incredible way to connect to my kiddos and their parents, but also a tremendous source of growth.  So many of those I follow inspire me with their blog posts, particularly those that are so real, that have clearly been written from the heart.  In talking with a few of those teachers, the biggest thing I heard time and again was that their blog was instrumental in their reflection on the profession, and if a blog post served to help or inspire another teacher, then that was icing on the cake.  Amen!

Thus, this blog.  I believe strongly in the power of reflection.  As teachers, if we are not reflecting constantly, then our teaching is suffering.  How can we ever expect to grow if we are not willing to reflect on our practice?  How can we ever see our weaknesses, and yes, our strong points, if we are not reflecting?  If this blog can help me in that constant process of reflection, then I can't wait to get started!  And, if something I say in a post could help someone like so many have helped me, icing!

A few things about me as I start this journey:
* The 2016-2017 school year will be the 12th in my career, all at Frankton High School in Indiana.  It is important for me to note that the thoughts expressed in this blog are mine alone, and are not in any way to be construed as the views of the Frankton-Lapel school corporation.
* I have been married for 13 years (as of July 26) to my incredible and beautiful wife, Dawn, and together we are raising two boys, Grayer and Rowan.

With that said, I can't wait to see where this blog goes, and I hope that posts will inspire questions and conversation! For those teachers who are veteran bloggers, I look forward to your tips!  Here goes!

No comments:

Post a Comment